Monday, May 11, 2009

When Your Spouse is Your Business Partner

My husband and I work together from home running three separate businesses and have worked together this way for the last two and a half years. Sometimes we’re asked how in the world we manage to work together and still be happy. My question is, why can’t you work with your closest friend and still stay the best of friends?

Recently I was listening to a presentation and the story was told again about how the husband and wife each worked outside the home and by the time they each got home at the end of the day, they were too tired to even be civil to one another. Each had a hard day and didn’t really want to hear what the other person had to say. Arguments easily erupted as each thought their day was harder than their spouse’s.

Here’s an advantage to working all day along with my spouse. As things come up in our businesses, we can immediately discuss them and bounce ideas off each other. If a situation with our young daughter comes up that needs to be handled, we’re both there to take care of the problem. Instead of thinking that one of us had a harder day than the other, we already know how each other’s day went and can help overcome any challenges as they arise instead of dealing with it all at once at the end of the day.

Do you work with your spouse? How do you handle challenges that arise?

P.S. My best friend is my husband and I love working with him!

No comments: